With an amazingly generous grant from the Ohio Arts Council, the Ohio Music Education Association is excited to bring special focus sessions to the 2017 Professional Development conference to be held in Cleveland, Ohio, February 2-4, 2017. The three areas that will be covered in these sessions pertain to Urban, Rural, and Underserved populations.
Again, a big thank you to the Ohio Arts Council for making this possible!
Below is the tentative list of presenters with session names.
– Orff In the Urban (or any) Classroom (Primary)
– Orff in the Urban (or any) Classroom (Intermediate)
– Using Music as a Vehicle to Enhance One’s Life
– Small School, Big Program, No Problem: Recruitment and Retention in a Small, Rural District
– Beethoven to Beatbox: Building Thriving Orchestras in Urban Schools
– What Does “Urban” Music Education Mean: Discussing the Discourse
– Inner-City Schools: Keys to Success
– Getting to Know our Students: Building Upon Strengths in Urban and Under-Resourced Schools
– Setting Goals and Developing Your Own Definition of Success in Urban and Under-Resourced Settings
– Urban Music Education: A Counternarrative Based on Contextually Specific Teaching
– The Only Constant is Change: Musings of an Urban Veteran Music Teacher
– Life, Music, and Social Justice for All
– Making Music with Today’s Urban Students
– Building Community through STEAM
– Something Out Of Nothing: How to be Successful in an Urban District
– Promoting Healthy Growth and Development in Children and Communities Through Music
– Building Your Instrumental Music Program in Urban and Rural Schools
– Music Without Borders: Making Travel Meaningful and Accessible for Low-Income Families
– From Rural to Urban: Building and maintaining a Successful Choral Program
– The Ur-band Program, Building and Maintaining a Music Program in an Inner Ring Suburb. Our Kids Can!
Ryan D. Shaw
– Avoiding Urban Music Education Cuts: A Cautionary Tale
– Fostering Social Justice Through Music Education in Urban Communities and Beyond
– Movement from a Muse: Building Blocks for Character and Creativity in the Underserved Classroom
– Mindful Management: Moving Beyond the Obstacles of the Underserved Classroom
– African-American Folk Songs and Games for Rural and Urban Students
– Success in the Small School Vocal Music Program: One Approach to Achieving It